But as we know, every now and then grays give us a challenge! When you find yourself in this situation it’s important to have some go-to techniques!
So next time you find yourself in a sticky gray situation…here are 6 tips to live by when having challenges with gray:
1. Increase of decrease your developer. I find in certain situations you can decrease the strength the of your developer to 10 volume or increase the strength of your developer and double the pigmentation by using twice the amount of color to half the amount of 30 vol.
2. Add depth to your formulation for better results by adding 1/2 oz of a level darker to your 2 oz formula.
3. When working with coarse resistant hair, apply color on both sides of the section.
4. If necessary extend your timing
5. Never attempt to cover salt and pepper hair more than 3 levels lighter than the “pepper” color.
6. When looking to achieve a lighter color than 3 levels on a salt and pepper hair, highlight the hair to your desired color and use a base no more than 3 levels lighter. For a more softer grow out stage, try using a demi-perm color for the base to create a more gray blended effect.
(Images courtesy of oprah.com)